NIH has issued its Data Management & Sharing (DMS) policy (effective January 25, 2023) to promote the sharing of scientific data. (Note that the resources described below, both in-house and external, continue to evolve and will thus be updated periodically.)
Tools for creating a DMS Plan
How to write your DMS Plan
- Brian Westra, Data Services Librarian: A consultation with Brian is the best way to ensure that your DMS Plan is customized to meet NIH expectations, especially if you are unsure which methods are most appropriate for sharing the data types relevant to your study.
- SERCC Template, Boilerplate Text, and Examples (Word document): This resource is based on a preliminary DMS Plan template released by the NIH in October 2022. It outlines the information that should be included in DMS Plans and provides examples of how data of a variety of types can be covered. Edit to suit the needs of your project.
- CCOM Template (Word document): This bare-bones template is least time-consuming and ideal for those in need of last-minute help compiling their DMS Plan. Edit to suit the needs of your project.
- CCOM Information about Data Sharing Plans (Word document), including checklist.
Expectations for DMS Plans
- Optional NIH DMS Plan format page: Link to an optional format for a DMS plan provided by NIH.
- DMPTool: Build your Data Management Plan: An online, form-based template that facilitates assembly of a DMS Plan.
- Past webinar: Creating Data Management Plans with DMPTool; Network of the National Library of Medicine (NNLM) (Recording | PowerPoint Slides)
- Research Data Services: NIH Data Management & Sharing Plans
- Hardin Open Workshops: NIH Data Management & Sharing Plans
- UI Division of Sponsored Programs: NIH Data Management and Sharing
- Includes a UI DMS Reference Guide, links to NIH Institute and Centers guidelines and FAQs, educational opportunities, and a list of UI partners in Data Management and Sharing.
- NIH DMS Policy Overview
- NIH Activity Codes Subject to the DMS Policy
- NIH Webinars, Recordings, and Slides
- Repositories for Sharing Scientific Data
- NIH Institute and Center Data Sharing Policies
- NIH Data Management and Sharing Plan Pilot Template (in collaboration with the Federal Demonstration Partnership (FDP))
- Example DMS Plans
- FASEB: Data Management and Sharing. Principles, recommendations, and resources to help guide your efforts to advance data sharing and reuse. Includes a Salon (conversation space to exchange ideas and design effective practices for data sharing and reuse) and Help Desk.
- "Ten simple rules for maximizing the recommendations of the NIH data management and sharing plan" by Sara Gonzales, Matthew B. Carson, Kristi Holms. Published in PLOS Computational Biology, Aug. 3, 2022.