The Scientific Editing and Research Communication Core helps researchers succeed with their funding efforts and scholarship by providing in-depth advice on how to maximize the clarity of scientific documents. We are scientists with advanced degrees, and the detailed editorial review we offer is based on extensive experience in both laboratory research and editing of scientific content. Multiple levels of feedback are offered.
Learn more about our staff by clicking on their picture.
Scientific Editing Interns
Individuals who have contributed actively to the editing of projects submitted to the core – their contributions have been included in feedback to our authors.
How to Contact Us
To request our editing services, please use our Schedule an Editing Project form. We will contact you about a timeline within one business day.
Questions can be directed to the core or the editors directly or at:
Monthly SERCC Newsletter
Interested in tips and resources on writing grants and research articles? Our newsletters will include updates to NIH requirements, announcements about our custom grant-writing templates, and useful resources for scientific writing.
Who We Serve
The SERCC helps researchers succeed with their funding efforts and scholarship by providing in-depth advice on how to maximize the clarity of scientific documents.
Ryan Betters, PhD
- CCOM Scientific Editing Intern, October 2022–February 2023, while a PhD student in the Iowa Neuroscience Graduate Program
Kelly Messingham, PhD
- CCOM Scientific Editing Intern, September 2017–January 2018
- Research Associate Professor, UI Department of Dermatology
Marie Gaine, PhD
- CCOM Scientific Editing Intern, June 2017–September 2017, while Research Scientist, Iowa Neuroscience Institute
- SERCC Assistant Editor, 2017–2020
- Subsequently Assistant Professor, UI Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Experimental Therapeutics
Jennifer Y Barr, PhD
- Scientific Editing Intern June 2015–June 2017, while Postdoctoral Scholar, UI Department of Pediatrics
- Subsequently Core Facility Research Specialist, UI Scientific Editing and Research Communication Core
Jennifer Levy, PhD
- Scientific Editing Intern Fall 2015, while Associate at UI Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics
- Subsequently Scientific Director, Coalition to Cure Calpain3, Westport, CT
Monali Sawai, PhD
- Scientific Editing Intern Spring 2010
- Subsequently freelance editor, Iowa City, IA
Individuals who have participated in seminars and courses taught by core staff, and have obtained some experience editing but who have not contributed directly to feedback to our authors.
Scientific Writing Intern Fall 2014, while Fogarty Scholar at UI College of Public Health
Subsequently Masters degree candidate/Graduate Researcher at Cluj School of Public Health, Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, Romania